Evangel Week 4: Ghost in the Shell
Check out the video sermon for week 4 titled "Ghost in the Shell" here.
Big Idea: The focus of Jesus’ ministry in synagogues and villages demonstrates that the battle for our souls is not just a matter of dealing with external forces, but against our personal and systemic participation in the spiritual forces of evil.
- What feelings are associated with your earliest memories of hearing about ‘spiritual’ things?
- How do you think about the spiritual dimension of human life?
Read Mark 5:1-20 and consider the following:
- If you saw someone acting like this man, what would you be prone to do? How does Jesus’ action differ? Is there a middle ground?
- In Ephesians Paul says we don’t wrestle with flesh and blood but with the ‘…against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.’ How do you read and apply something like that?
- Are you prone to ‘over-spiritualize’ or ‘under-spiritualize’ issues? What would a balanced approach look like?
- Given the biblical perspective that there is a connection between corrupt political and religious power and the demonic—what significance do you think there is that the demons refer to themselves as ‘Legion’?
- Mark’s favourite descriptive word concerning Jesus in these encounters is ‘authority’. Where would you like to call on Jesus’ authority?